Study in USA

US has the largest number of universities in the world. The top ones include Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Yale, Stanford, CalTech, Berkeley and Princeton.

Any student can find an appropriate programme within the rich and diverse higher education system of the United States. This is true whether you are seeking career-oriented vocational and technical training from a community college, a liberal arts education from a small private college, an undergraduate science degree from a prestigious research institution, or one of a variety of programmes offered by a multi-purpose university. High quality educational programmes are offered in all types of institutions at prices that vary as much as the programmes and institutions.

At the graduate level, U.S. colleges and universities offer both research and professional degrees. Foreign students are engaged in both types of programmes and study a wide variety of subjects. Engineering, business and management, physical and life sciences and mathematics and computer science are the most popular fields of study at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

Research programmes are offered in most academic fields, including engineering, mathematics and computer science, physical and life sciences, and the humanities. These programmes lead to either a master's degree or a doctorate and also can include postdoctoral study and research. Professional programmes lead to master's (i.e MBA or MPA) or other degrees such as the JD or the MD that allow students to work in fields such as law, medicine, social work, or business.

Medical studies in the US differ from the rest of the world. There are no undergraduate medical degrees (Northwestern being almost the only exception). Would-be medics have to take another subject in their first degree, whilst at the same time preparing for and passing their MCAT - a nine-hour multiple-choice test - to gain entry to medical school. As a result, very few international students attend US medical schools - less than 0.5% of their classes.

Law studies in the US are similar to medical studies. There are no undergraduate law degrees. Students take a liberal arts degree, whilst having to pass the LSAT test to gain entry to law school.

Price and Return on Investment

The average tuition and fees per academic year at the four-year undergraduate level can vary from less than $3,500 to over $15,000 U.S. living expenses (called room and board) range from $4,700 to $6,000 U.S. each academic year. Tuition and fees at selective private institutions may cost considerably more than these averages.

Why do foreign students pay the price to enrol in U.S. institutions of higher education? We believe they do so because they view the cost of higher education as an investment. They have determined that the necessary skills and experience they will gain by studying in the United States will reap a high return for their money and a better paying job when they return home.

Student Diversity

American institutions of higher education serve student populations that are becoming increasingly diverse in terms of race, ethnicity, and age. Today, over 27 percent of undergraduate college students are members of minority groups. Such enrolments enrich campus environments and the educational experiences of all students. Studying at an American college or university can truly be an international experience. To learn more about the kinds of programs offered by U.S. colleges and universities, view the U.S. Department of Education's World Wide Web site

Educational Opportunities in the USA

In terms of admission requirements for colleges and universities in the US, these vary from institution to institution. For further information please contact us.

A Country of Opportunities

The multi-cultural population of the US is made up of races from every continent. This makes for a study destination which is diverse and where you will be able to find places to suit your personal desires and needs. Comprising of 52 states, all with their own uniquely attractive features, the US has long been recognised as a country of opportunity and this is no different in terms of education. Perhaps the main problem for students wanting to study in the US is not in finding somewhere with a good standard of education, but deciding which one of the many to choose, from the vast selection of colleges. To follow are a few examples of places in the US where you might wish to study, in the hope that you might be able to get a flavour of the may opportunities available to you.



I already have a passport. Is this enough for entry into the United States?

In simple terms ......No! - However, your passport is an equal part of the package. Your passport is your government's permit for you to leave and re-enter your country. Keep your passport valid. The validity date should be at least six months beyond the applicants intended period of stay in the United States. The U.S. government requires your passport to be valid for entry.

A visa is also needed. A visa is a stamp placed in your passport by a U.S. Consular officer in your country. It simply notes the purpose of your visit. One of the most important aspects of a visa, for immigration purposes, is the last date you can enter the U.S. the number of entries allowed and, of course, the length at which you will be permitted to stay!

How do I obtain a Visa?

For full details please contact us.

There are so many types of Visas. Which one relates to me?

As an international student you will be classed as a non-immigrant and there are a potential three visas that you may be eligible for F-1, J-1 and M-1.

The F-1 visa is for most international students. It is for international students in full-time study. Once you have completed your Certificate Of Eligibility, in this case a I-20 A-B, the International Officer at the university of your choice will process the documents. To satisfy the Immigration and Naturalisation Service you must be able to prove that you are in an approved full time course of study (12 hours of class time per semester) and that there are sufficient financial resources for you to support yourself. This may be submitted on a I-134 form which is an affidavit of financial support from family or another person.

The J-1 visa is for international students who are sponsored by their government, their foreign University, an international organisation or a source that is other than personal (an IAP-66 form needs to be completed) These are known as exchange visitors. Please note that with J-1 visa holders there are often strict guidelines for leaving the country after their studies. Please check the terms and conditions that you are contracted to by the people you are funded by.

An M-1 visa is for students who are admitted for vocational and technical training programmes (For I-20 M-N must be completed). Once again through the same system as F-1 you must prove that you are in full-time study and have adequate financial support.  It is important to check full details of all your visa restrictions and requirements at your local U.S. Embassy or consulate so that you maintain your visa status.

How do I maintain my visa status?

This is very easy.  Just follow the procedures and you should have no problems. However, it is important to know that if you have any immigration problems your International Officer is there to help you with any problems that you may have. To maintain your visa status simply keep to the minimum amount of hours in a full time course. Changing your status may mean you have to change your visa. To remain as F-1 status and to stop attending your course is seen as a violation of your visa requirements and may move towards immediate deportation.

What documents do I need to keep hold of?

  • Your passport and visa
  • Your I-20 form
  • Also your I-94. This is a record of arrival and departure from the United States and is a form stapled into your passport. It notes the length of stay permitted. F-1 visa holders will have "D/S" instead of a specific date put on the form. This means Duration Of Status, which means you may stay in the country whilst you are of F-1 Status.

For the most up to date information please contact us

I am a Postgraduate Student. Does this mean I have any other additional requirements?

Not really. However, find out the nature of your course to help determine what visa you will need. A full time course may vary at postgraduate level. However, generally for visa maintenance you will need to be in at least 9 hours of credited study per semester. You must also show the financial resources to support yourself. Ask your International Officer for any advice on employment restrictions.

What if I want to change my University or my course. Will that change my visa status?

Not necessarily. As long as you are in full time study you should still continue to be of F-1 status. It is important to note that in all cases a fresh I-20 form must be completed and processed through the International Officer at each school.

It is important to remember that the INS has the authority to refuse entry to the United States. It is only until your visa has been signed by the INS official at your chosen port of entry that you are given full visa status into the United States. However, if you prepare yourself with all the information you may need, entry into the United States should be a simple and painless procedure.

Pros & Cons


  • Large number of highly reputable Universities
  • Streamlined online admissions processes
  • Generally high quality campus support services for international students
  • Well resourced private and public Universities


  • High tuition fees
  • Low acceptance rate for international students
  • Tough student visa requirements
  • Difficult post-study visa situation for employment
  • High competition for places on top courses
  • High crime rate in some areas